Monday, November 26, 2012

12 Projects: Holiday Pillows




For my first project, I decided to dress up my couch for the holidays!  I already have a red couch, so it made a great starting point. I've been planning to do some pillows for everyday, but with Christmas right around the corner, I figured I would go for some with holiday designs first!


These three pillows are made from old sweaters. I cheated a little here, and bought them from a thrift store.The green one is children's, and the other two are adults. I chopped off the top halves, and stitched up the sides.


I cut shapes out of felt and glued them to the sweater pieces with Fabri-Tac. 


After letting them dry, I secured each shape with embroidery thread and a blanket stitch. 


This reindeer is probably my favorite.


 Trees!


I had some sparkly felt in my stash, perfect for tree ornaments. I used a chain stitch for the "strings".            

                             
I also made two pillow covers for my regular couch pillows from an old curtain, painted with silver and glitter paint. It had been sitting in my closet waiting for the right project.  I made two very basic envelope backed pillow covers. You can find directions for making pillow covers here, at Martha Stewart.  


  My painting skills leave a lot to be desired, so I went with a simple snowflake design.  It is definitely not perfect, but the covers turned out pretty cute!

Please forgive my blank wall!
 I hope you enjoyed project number one!  See you later this week!


Missed something?  Check out The 12 Projects of Christmas.



1 comment: