Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Mad Men Dress: Challenge Accepted.

If you cruise the sewing blogs, as I tend to, there's no way you could have missed JuliaBobbin's recent post.  A fellow lover of vintage style, she's challenged sewists across the internet to whip up a dress inspired by the ladies of Mad Men.




I love a good challenge, and I've always had an affinity for period costumes.  The era portrayed by Mad Men is no exception.  The classic lines of this time period have come back into modern fashion in a big way (pencil skirts aren't just for pin ups anymore), making this a piece one could easily integrate into their regular wardrobe.  I've been trying to incorporate some vintage stylings into my everyday aesthetic, and  a dress that looks classy instead of costumey would be a great addition to my closet.

I sew best under a deadline, and Julia's provided one for me!  I have until March 30th.  But I'm in no rush, and i'm enjoying the inspiration part of the design process.

Should I go for a sexy, curve hugging Joan dress?  It is Christina Hendricks after all, and you all know how i feel about her.


Or what about an often demure and always polished Betty dress?  I do love a good floral print. 

She always looks so angry.

I imagine most of these would be pretty easy to style if you have a decent collection of vintage patterns at your disposal. I don't, so whatever I make will be cobbled together out of what patterns I have, and what i know about drafting.  I love a good experiment, don't you?

If you want to check out my ongoing seach for mad men inspiration, check out my Mad Men Pinterest board.

What Mad Man's character makes your heart flutter?  Is there a great inspiration dress I must see?  Am I not giving Peggy's style enough credit?  What Mad Men dress would you make?


Sara





No comments:

Post a Comment